collage

collage

Sunday, April 4, 2010

In Dan's Garage...#28


Hey!!! You didn't think I was just going to leave you with a measly repost did you??? We work holidays here at Dan's Garage, because....well, because it's fun. So here it is...Dan's Garage #28!

Terry & The Flippers - Firing Line (1964)
Ya, I know the label says "Our Last Date", but it says that on the other side too. Another person asleep at the wheel while pressing this record. Anyway, these guys were from Lawrence, KS, and eventually became The Fabulous Flippers, one of the biggest bands in the midwest during 65-66. This is an early effort befor they hit the big time, and is a cool as hell frat rock tune that reminds me a lot like The Premiers.

Mad Mods - Warm And Tender Love (1966)
I'm a sucker for garage ballads, and this San Antonio, TX weeper doesn't disappoint. The flip is a fast moving instrumental which will be featured on my soon to be released instrumental edition.

Brian Stacy - I Tried (1965)
Not from Canada as I erroneously stated before this edit. This one is out of Memphis, TN.

Toggery Five - I'm Gonna Jump / Bye Bye Bird (1964)
This is one of several morbid garage tunes like "Black Winds" by Little John & the Monks, and "Give" by the Poore Boyes, wherein the singer relates a woeful tale of suicide or murder, or worse yet, murder suicide. Real genius stuff here. This was redone by The Pattens from Chicago a year or two later. The flip is a fantastic R&B raver.

Five Americans - Sympathy / Sound Of Love (1967)
I really like The Five Americans, even if their output was a little lightweight and poppy. I like pop music, especially when it's well crafted, and this scratchy two sider is a good example.

Palace Guard - A Girl You Can Depend On / If You Need Me (1965)
Near perfect example of a garage,pop, and folk rock blend. Great moody minor key chord changes, and fantastic vocals. This was Emmet Rhodes' before he went on to The Merry-Go-Round.

Grammy Fones - Now He's Here (1967)
Here's a mystery group doing that great garage pop thing with terrific vocal harmonies.

Lost - Maybe More Than You / Back Door Blues (1965)
One of Boston's best, right up there with The Remains. This is a perfect two sider and absolutely one of my all time favorite singles. While this isn't exactly killer crude punk, it's totally brilliant in all areas, and these guys should have been more famous.

Soul Survivors - Can't Stand To Be In Love With You / Look At Me (1965)
Another excellent two sider. These guys are one of several "Soul Survivors" from the sixties,and hail from Denver, CO. They're not the "Expressway To Your Heart"or "Shakin' With Linda" groups. Bass player  Bob Webber went on to join Sugarloaf.

49th Parallel - You Do Things / Laborer (1966)
Super cool two sider from Canada. These guys were from Calgary, Alberta and had quite a prolific run in the mid tow late sixties. This, their first is definitely my favorite, and is solid 60's punk.

Front Page News - Thoughts / You Better Behave (1967)
Yeah! A terrific slice of sixties psychedelia to say the least, with it's weird "fade in", and fuzzed out guitars. A true classic indeed. From Tulsa, OK.

Hysterical Society - Come With Me / I Know (1967)
Yet another great two sider. This neat garage punker comes from Amarillo, TX.

Kidds - Straighten Up And Fly Right / See What My Love Means (196?)
Don't know much here except that this great organ driven garage punker is from somewhere in Mississippi.

Kidds - You Were Wrong / Children In Love (196?)
Check it out, another "Kidds", this time from somewhere in Ontario, Canada I believe. This is an awesome example of real moody garage. Both sides are fantastic, and can someone out there tell me where I can find more of this stuff for 40 cents??????

Rain - E.S.P. / Outta My Life (1966)
This Brian Ross production is a ripoff of The Pretty Things' "L.S.D." on one side, an "I Can Only Give You Everything" on the flip. All that is forgotten when you hear what is, in my opinion, the finest drum solo ever on the A side.

Sticks & Stones - Try / Live To Be Free (1967)
Real good pop/psyche, most likely from Connecticut or N.Y.C. Paul Leka, who was from the Bridgeport area co-wrote the famous "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" for Steam, which became a huge hit in 1970. He also wrote Green Tambourine for the Lemon Pipers.

Lynx - Just A Friend / Woman Of My Dreams (1969)
I'm not sure if this is the same group from Tyler, TX that did the great "You Lie", but it was recorded just across the border in Clovis, NM at Norman Petty's studio. Great heavy psyche on both sides.

Enjoy.

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful series, Dan. It's excelent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dan!!! I am enjoying your site. Up until I got to your Dan's garage series. It seems as though I had less problems downloading when I would download the garage obscurities collection. I frankly hate the SHAREBEE downloads because they are for some reason not compatible with my windows media player. The sharebee also likes to play games with you when you try to download files, along with spoon-fed pablum advertisements!! That is pretty unappealing, especially when my computer tells me that the sharebee contains harmful spy ware!! Is there a reason why you couldn't upload the files as mp3's?? Sendspace is what Leonerd Los used to use on his blogspot redtelephone66, and I have never once had a problem with it. Better yet. Why couldn't you upload the files the same way that you uploaded your garage obscurities series?? That was way sooooo much easier than this sharebee crap. Let me know what you can do to help!! Thanks, Recordfanatic

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dan, although you have a Canadian pressing of that Brian Stacey single it's not a Canadian
    record - it was recorded in Memphis.
    Stacey's real name was Brian Browder - he'd later change his name to T.G.Sheppard becoming a
    successful country singer in the
    seventies and eighties.

    Davie G

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how these get better and better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks again for the comments and constructive criticism. Boy do I feel like a dope! Sometimes, I like to "assume" certain records and/or artists are from a certain area of the country, but you know what happens when you "assume" something right??? Thanks for the Brian Stacy correction, you people are what makes this blog worthwhile. Recordfanatic's suggestion that I go to Sendspace might be a good one, although I've had no trouble with Sharebee. A lot of bloggers subscribe to Rapidshare, Megaupload, etc. and it makes it easy for them, but we'll see. As far as individual mp3s go,I'd prefer to post the entire package, it's just easier. I'm not lazy here, I just prefer getting from point A to point B as fast as possible. The Obscure 60's Garage posts reside on Snapdrive, something that I have to pay for on a monthly basis, and it's getting full.(Here comes the sob story.) I know $10 a month isn't a lot, it is when you have three kids in college, a wife who's currently unemployed, and I make a very modest wage. I'm not saying I'm poor, I'm just saying I need to cut corners here and there, and I'm literally sweating bullets trying to pay for tuition. Besides, I have an awful record buying habit. Thanks to all once again, and keep the comments coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Brian Stacy record is great. As Davie G said, that artist was actually T.G. Sheppard, a country singer (he mentions the disc on his website). I have a nice clean US promo copy of it -- it's a fairly easy record to come across, thankfully, as I Tried is a GREAT record (i think the flip side is a stinker, though).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dan. Thanks for another nice batch of 45s. Did you really find the Kidds 45 for 40c? That is truly a great find, it's a very rare record. The flip, Children In Love, is a monster tune!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Use whatever you want to upload just keep doing it. LOL. Myself I prefer Rapid Share but NEVER had a problem with any of the others (Other than popup pages). Understand the need to not put up in straight mp3 because of time and I agree.
    Wasn't aware the Flippers put out an earlier release. Look forward to you putting up the other side. HINT HINT.
    Think the Big Beat's Kidds 45 came out around 1967.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great collection, Dan! I only recently stumbled upon your site and I'm really digging your homemade comps. Don't worry about that Canadian mishap mentioned above because it's almost impossible to know everything about all of these obscure bands. You're doing a killer job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait for that instrumental mix! Ever think about just doing a moody garage one?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I've definitely considered that. I've also considered doing a "worst records" series too. You know, like, have you ever picked something up that looked real good, only to take it home and have it stink the room up? Or worse yet, plunk down some decent cash on a record from Ebay that was listed as "garage", only to have it be some awful teen crooner??? That happened to me just this week. Hell, there was one I got that had a sound clip and the seller conveniently edited the atrocious horns and left the 20 seconds of what I guess would be considered "cool". Like that wild fuzzed out intro to the 4 Seasons' "Let's Hang On"? I'm sure a series like that would be good for a laugh, and educational too! I think after #29 I'll start gathering all the intsros as they are mixed in with everything else in my collection, plus all my great Upstate New York 45s which I haven't even gotten to yet. If you're familiar with the finerecordingstudio.com website, you'll love what's coming up. Glad you're enjoying the blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't have to put this one through;
    It's FYI --

    Best of the Five Americans (@320 or FLAC, with full artwork) -- links & PW here:
    http://phrockblog3.blogspot.com/2009/12/five-americans-best-of-five-americans.html
    "Sympathy" is on it.
    The site appears to be Brazilian/South American, but there's enough English to maneuver around.
    Some interesting International garage collections here and there.

    ReplyDelete